Tuesday 11 September 2012

Enter Richter - combat round 1

The old man scoffs at Baleon's retort.  "Your drow tricks may have helped you escape my prison Baleon Arzen, but they won't save you this time!"

Baleon starts at the sound of his name.  "That's right, don't think you paltry magical disguise can hide your guilt, or the brand on your arm."

Baleon reflexively grips the scar on his forarm; a runic "F"  burned into his skin when he arrived at Braderscar prison...  And then it all falls into place.  He remembers the old man.  Inspecting him like chattel when he arrived at the prison, then turning him over to his torturers with a dismissive wave...  Baron Richter, warden of Branderscar prison.

Trik ducks behind the other throne and turns to his companion.  "Friend of yours?"

"The warden of the prison I escaped from.  Richter."

"the warden of... but I heard he was executed for gross incompetent after you guys broke out.  What's he doing here?"  Trik poked his head over the throne and yelled across the room.  "Richter is it?  I thought they hung you.  On account of, you know, being an idiot," he added.

Richter screamed back with a hint of madness in his voice.  "I was betrayed by witchcraft and deviltry!  They stripped me of my title, and would have hung me.  But I told them I could find you Baleon Arzen!  I knew all the old places.  And I knew why you had come to the surface, and what you sought.  If I can bring you in, then the duke will pardon me.  So I have watched this place for months, waiting for you to skulk in to finish the job you started all those months ago.  And here you are at last, and so too my salvation!"

Trik ducks back down and starts to load his crossbow.  "You have the nicest friends, elf," he quips to Baleon sardonically.

Richter meanwhile, continues to rant.  "And now, Forsaken of Mitra, burn as you should have at Branderscar!"  This is followed by the unmistakable incantations of Richter casting a spell.

"Oh bollocks," Trik mutters.



Initiative order
Baleon:  17
Richter:  14
Trik:  13
Guards:  11

Baleon and Trik have full cover (+8 AC and 50% miss chance, +10 stealth) so long as they stay prone behind the thrones. If you choose to pop up, fire off a shot and duck back down, you maintain the +8 AC bonus but lose the 50% concealment bonus.   Likewise, Richter gains a +4 AC bonus while directly behind his burly guards.  The two guards are dressed in chain shirts and armed with crossbows, large shields and long swords.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Baleon draws his short sword and tucks the blade in an inverted position so that the blade rests across his forearm. "Finally..." Baleon whispered to himself as he allowed the illusion from his headband to fade away. "...a man worth killing."

(OOC: Baleon is going to stay down and wait as he really can't do anything until people come closer. If it's at all possible, I'd like to wait until the guards are crossing the gap and cast darkness when they're about half way across but I don't think I can.)